VUTRAX Technical Support
VUTRAX SOFTWARE ADVICE NOTICE 212 (11 Jan
VUTRAX 12.4a onwards for Windows
95 through XP
Operation with Networks Limited
to 8.3 style Filenames
Vutrax 12.4a introduced file extensions that include
appending ..bak and other special file extensions to
extensions, rather than replacing any existing extension.
Vutrax 12.4a also introduced extension .auto.bak for
automatically saved files.
This scheme creates problems when user files are
accessed over a network that supports only 8.3 style
filenames. Atempts to rename transient and backup files
This patch takes the form of a small command file
SAN212.BAT (supplied as an attachment rather than a
and paste file because it is rather intricate and relies
on multiple spaces).
- Install Vutrax into a directory/folder with a simple
name of 8 or less characters with no embedded spaces
(e.g. \VUTRAX) and introduce only folder and filenames
adhering to 8.3 style without embedded spaces.
The remainder of this note assumes that you chose
- After installation or in a running system that is
malfunctioning with 8.3 name limited networks, copy the
linked file SAN212.BAT to \VUTRAX\WORK\SAN212.BAT.
Right Click and [Save As]
SAN212.BAT <<< Here is the File
- Start Vutrax in the default project WORK.
- Select Set Environment from (File > setup)
and include the setting
- Select any free or re-usable user option using Option n from (Specify)
and select the file SAN212.BAT file to
- Leaving alone the Window prompting 'terminate all other
Vutrax Windows', find the other Vutrax
windows and [OK] them until the main menu window
appears. Click the top right [X] to terminate this as
well. Now [OK] remaining window to start the patch.
- When the batch file completes restart Vutrax and it
is ready to use
- Should you need to reverse the patch, re-installing
from your original media will do so without losing your
menu settings. You may want to remove the VTXSHORT
setting as well.
You need to re-patch after any update so that it is
applied to any newly installed modules. Already patched
modules are automatically skipped.
What the Patch and Settings do:
- Tells the command shell to work in 8.3 style names
- Updates all relevant Vutrax Windows executables
(.EXE) files so that all file extensions are treated
replacements rather than specific extensions being
- Updates the SEE.EXE text to auto-save using extension
.SAV rather than .AUTO.BAK
- Updates the permanent copy of CONFIG.MCH so that it
specifies auto-save to use extension .SAV
rather than .AUTO.BAK. The copy in \VUTRAX is
updated when you re-start Vutrax.
- Terminating the remainder of Vutrax before applying
the patch is important and the patch will fail if
don't. You should be able to try again without
- Internet Site.
- Customers Reporting Problems.